linux browsers

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 29 04:44:01 2002

28-Apr-02 at 17:50, Chris Alden (mohotsaucemoproblems@yahoo.com) wrote :
> After installing YDL 2.0 I noticed that the web
> browsers included with KDE or Gnome were not quite up
> to par with current internet standards.

Let me say, first and foremost, that Windows and Mac browsers written by
Microsoft do not follow current internet standards.

> Some websites refused to load and many loaded with strange font
> sizes or partial functionality.  Are the browsers
> included in the versions of KDE or Gnome in YDL 2.2
> any better than those in YDL 2.0?  Will I have to wait
> for KDE 3.0 to come out?  Thanks.

Strange font sizes usually means you don't have the right fonts on your
machine. Some sites choose to use proprietary Microsoft / Mac fonts which
may not exist in Linux because they're not free. That's the web site's
fault, not the browser's. Font types like serif, sans-serif and others
exist to allow websites to be much better on different platforms, but
sadly the website community has an annoying tendency to use Microsoft
development platforms, Microsoft fonts, and IE as their sole browser to
see if a site looks OK. Shame on them.

Mozilla 1.0 is more or less out, this respects W3C standards. Opera is
also available (adware, but you can get rid of ads for a few bucks) and is
standards compliant.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:94.73% see www.mersenne.org]
History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree