Completely OT (not so much anymore) -- threads

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 29 09:30:00 2002

29-Apr-02 at 11:18, Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com) wrote :
> Hmmm? I've been running DOS on Macs since 1994 (and, now even have a 6100
> with a PC486 card)! First SoftAT so I could use pkzip204g & primitive DOS
> science apps, and then more recently Virtual PC to run more advanced stuff
> (in fact, I have to run it because of software that _only_ exist for DOS
> (well, if I had spare time on my hands I'd go through the hassle of
> recompiling them (some Fortran & mostly C) for OS X but I don't so I'll
> stick to running Virtual PC)... no Windoze, Linux, or Mac version
> (equivalents exist but that would mean having to learn a new command set & I
> don't really foresee having to use the app again)!)

Reminder to self: emulations of all sorts of things exist on all sorts of
platforms.

> To drive you nuts, I will _not_ create a new thread but simply rename this
> one slightly. It drives _me_ nuts when people do what you advocate because
> then I can't track "dependencies" (and, I do sort by subject line and keep
> threads together (I don't like the kind of thread display where the thread
> is displayed as a hierarchy... I prefer a "flat" display)).

I think we're thinking along similar lines here. I didn't perhaps see the
top of the thread where DOS was discussed, I like new subjects being used
(and typos corrected) in threads. No problem with dependencies. I just
thought you had started a new thread by replying to another when in fact
you had not.

Reminder to self: more coffee in the morning ;-)

> think a new thread (without the re:) is warranted is when you write a
> message from scratch without quoting an active thread.

Agreed.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:95.09% see www.mersenne.org]
Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and