Suitability of Beige Desktop G3 for YDL

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 30 15:26:01 2002

The stuff I read about it on lowendmac and everymac indicate that
doing an upgrade can be as simple as replacing the CPU in the zif
socket.  But there are obviously 'packaged' solutions as well.  What
are the differences?  Does YDL care?

Also, how is this machine with 'standard' RAM?  I know it needs 10ns
168 pin SDRAM, but do I need to buy some from a Mac supplier, i.e.
Mac certified?

It also occurs to me that I *might* be able to get away with just
transferring my old SCSI HD from the 6116CD in to the G3, swap
kernels, and be in business.  Anybody with experience trying this?

Rob