general video question

Michael Tucker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 1 07:30:01 2002

Hi,

  I'm not experienced with setting up X windows, and have recently heard
some conflicting stories about where the "X Driver" lives. A x86 Linuxer
told me that getting "accelerated drivers" for a video card meant
replacing the XFree86 program with an accelerated version written by the
video card's company. Does the PPC port simply provide an executable that
has support for all the differnet cards? Is that why there's no talk of
this on the list? Or, are we not getting the full power of the
acceleration from whatever ATI or Nvidia card is in our boxes?

Thanks,
Mike