Apache / apt-get error...two versions installed!

Don Montalvo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 1 08:03:01 2002

Help! I updated Apache on my Powerbook G3 Series (Wallstreet
233/384M) to 1.3.23 using RPM. I thought everything was fine. Then
today I tried to use apt-get to update something and I got this error:

[montalvd_pb:~]root# apt-get upgrade apache
Processing File Dependencies... Done
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: There are two or more versions of the package 'apache' installed
in your system, which is a situation APT can't handle cleanly at the
moment.
Please do one of the following:
1) Remove the older packages, leaving only one version installed; or
2) If you do want to have multiple versions of that package, add the
package names to the RPM::AllowedDupPkgs option.

E: Error occured while processing apache (UsePackage2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/rpm/Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I tried --purge, --remove, etc...without any luck. Anyone know how I
can remove the older version of Apache without breaking anything? I
posted over at the Apache list and they suggested --purge, which
didn't work.

Don (hoping I don't have to wipe/reinstall YDL)
--
$ chmod a+x /bin/laden