XMMS and MP3s on PowerPC

Steven Tomcavage yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 1 13:10:01 2002

I am having trouble using XMMS to listen to MP3s on my
PowerPC 6360. I have YDL 2.3 installed and am using the 2.4
kernel.

When I listen to an MP3, all I hear is static. I can listen
to WAVs and audio CDs with no problems using XMMS.

I am using cdparanoia to rip a CD. I can listen to the
resulting WAVs with XMMS. Then, I use Lame to encode the
WAVs to MP3, and when I play the MP3, all I hear is static.

At first I thought there might be a problem with my
ripping/encoding scheme, so I tried playing a data CD that
contains MP3s which were ripped and encoded on my PC using
Windows 98. These played static, too.

Lame, XMMS, and cdparanoia are all the versions that came
with YDL 2.3, I don't have the version numbers handy.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

-Steven Tomcavage