YDL/RedHat difference in "top"

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 4 08:33:01 2002

Hi Chris,

I'm running the stock YDL 2.3 kernel (2.4.19) as the installer puts in on=
 the=20
disk, no modifications (I didn't have the time to tweak kernels lately,=20
sorry).

Since the machine is a PowerBook, there is very little chance of having m=
ore=20
than the one G4/667 either ;-).

On Sunday 04 August 2002 10:03, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Henrik Farre wrote:
> >>  AFAIK, you will only get the CPU states with an SMP kernel. So if y=
ou
> >> compile your kernel with SMP you will get it, otherwise not.

That's weird - I'm used to getting them on all my Linux boxes, but then, =
they=20
are mainly i386 architecture ...

> >Sure? Both my Powerbook 3400 and my single cpu workstation (i386) disp=
lays
> >the line:
> >CPU states:  5,2% user,  4,7% system, 86,4% nice,  3,6% idle
>
>  Are you running SMP kernels on these machines? Did you compile them
> yourself or are they someone else's kernel?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

BTW: I found your site (McGill) the fastest mirror around, my d/l speed w=
as=20
188.6 KB/sec yesterday, I suppose that's the max on my cable modem ...

Best regards,
Chris