Gnome/Sawfish problem with YDL 2.3

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 4 14:59:00 2002

At 15:51 -0400 on 4-8-2002 Alan Cudmore wrote:

 > I installed YDL 2.3 on a Beige G3/233 and a Wallstreet G3 powerbook. KDE
 > works ok, but GNOME seems to be broken. The sawfish window manager will
 > not let me resize windows and the top part of the title bar on each
 > window is missing.
 > Has anyone experienced this problem?

Yes, but only for certain sawfish themes and for some locale settings
(specifically, LC_ALL set to C does not work). I eventually discovered
that the stock YDL sawfish is ancient (0.39 or so versus the latest
version which is 1.something). I thus downloaded the most recent
sawfish sources and installed them (the installation is immediate:
cd <sawfish-source>; ./configure --prefix=/usr; make; make install).
I have had no problems since.

Rebuilding and installing the sawfish source RPM from the YDL ftp site
might work as well (I am successfully running an even older version on
my other computer).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.