DVD software

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 4 18:18:01 2002

On Sun Aug 4 2002, Khaos Gott wrote:

> I've downloaded Xine-lib 0.9.13 and Xine-ui 0.9.13. When I compile Xine-l=
> ib=20
> everthing seems fine. I do a ./configure , make , make install. But when =
> I=20
> want to install Xine-lib it gives me an error. I run YDL 2.3.
>
> *** Could not run XINE test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding XINE or finding the wrong
> *** version of XINE. If it is not finding XINE, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to poin=
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if t=
> hat
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, althou=
> gh
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PA=
> TH
> ***
> configure: error: *** You should install xine-lib first ***
>
> How to fix this?

The easiest way to build xine-lib/xine-ui is the following:

	1.  Remove all traces of previous installs of xine-lib/xine-ui
	    from your system.

	2.  Get the xine-lib-0.9.13.tar.gz and xine-ui-0.9.13.tar.gz
	    tarballs from the DOWNLOAD releases section of:

	    http://xine.sourceforge.net/

	3.  As root, build the libxine0 and libxine0-devel PPC RPMs
	    using the following command:

	    rpm -ta xine-lib-0.9.13.tar.gz

	4.  Install the libxine0 and libxine0-devel PPC RPMs using
	    the following command:

	    rpm -U /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/libxine0-0.9.13-1.ppc.rpm /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/libxine0-devel-0.9.13-1.ppc.rpm

	5.  Run ldconfig.

	6.  Build the xine-ui PPC RPM with:

	    rpm -ta xine-ui-0.9.13.tar.gz

	7.  Install the xine-ui PPC RPM by:

	    rpm -U /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/xine-ui-0.9.13-1.ppc.rpm

You should now be able to successfully run xine as a normal user
(tcsh users may have to do a rehash first).  You can also run
xine-check to point out any potential problems with your system
environment for running xine.

To watch encrypted DVDs you will need some additional software
(libdvdcss, libdvdread, libdvdnav, and xine-dvdnav).  Check the
FAQ on the xine web page for instructions about how to obtain,
build, and install this additional software.  This software is
not included with xine because of various potential legal problems.

						-Hope this helps

						-Bill