DVD software

Khaos Gott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 5 15:01:01 2002

On Monday 05 August 2002 05:09, Bill Fink wrote:
> On Mon Aug 5 2002, Khaos Gott wrote:
> > Thnx alot. Xine installed perfectly. But I've got speed problems when
> > pla=3D ying=3D20
> > DVD's. They run slow and sound seems to be a bit ugly. But the screen
> > pro=3D blem=3D20
> > is really bad. I don't have subtitles either. But that's not a big
> > proble=3D m.
> > Do you know how to fix this screen problem I have?
> >
> > I've got YDL2.3 ,400mhz G3 Imac with ATI-rage-128 and 256mb RAM. 20 g=
b HD

> Hi,
>
> Run xine-check and pay attention to what it says.  Also check the
> xine HOWTO at:
>
> =09http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto.html
>
> Especially check Section 9 (Increasing Performance).
>
> The two biggest speed issues are making sure you are using Xv, and maki=
ng
> sure DMA is enabled on your DVD drive.
>
> There should be a switch on the GUI for selecting subtitles.
>
> As for the screen problem, I'm not sure.  Make sure you're running
> accelerated X.  You may also need to drop your screen resolution
> and/or bit depth (for example if you're currently using a bit depth
> of 24 or 32, try dropping it down to 16).
>
> I now know it's possible to get acceptable performance on a G3 400,
> so hang in there.
>
> =09=09=09=09=09=09-Regards
>
> =09=09=09=09=09=09-Bill

I'm runnig Xv and DMA is enabled on my DVD drive. My screen has 16 bit=20
colours. It's not only DVD it's the same with Divx movies.
I don't know if i'm using accelerated X. I've got speed problems in tux r=
acer=20
to. Tux doesn't see my 3D card so maybe X is not accelerated. Do you know=
 how=20
to check this?
Also I'd like to see a YDL tweak guide or something like that.

=09=09=09=09=09=09-Thnx in advance
=09=09=09=09=09=09-KhaosGott