IPX

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 8 20:51:01 2002

At 17:52 -0600 on 8-8-2002 Tim R. Hautzinger wrote:

 > Where can I get the IPX utils for YDL2.3 or netware client?
 > I need to be able to access a netware 4.1 server.

On the Tasty Morsels CD (YDL 2.2) I have

ipxutils-2.2.0.18-6.ppc.rpm

and

ncpfs-2.2.0.18-6.ppc.rpm

These should be (possibly with a newer version) in YDL 2.3 distribution
as well, and should be enough for accessing Netware file systems and
print queues (see http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IPX-HOWTO.html for a howto
on the matter).

Well, I said they _should_ be enough, and that is because I tried the
same thing (our network here at Bishop's is based on, gasp! Novell)
but the process was only partially successful.  Specifically, I mount
the NCP volume alright but after this I get stale NCP handlers for
some directories, some directories are not visible at all, and print
jobs are sistematically refused with a "close error" (such a
self-explanatory error message, eh?) on the only printer in my
building I have access to.

All of this may be caused by our particular network though.  After
all, I had to produce a fully qualified account name to log in from my
PPC box (as did others), and some other faculty here, running x86
Linuces, told me that you cannot print unless you mount the NCP
volumes first--they are lucky though, I cannot print at all.

So, could you please let me know about your Netware experience once
you try it?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.