YDL 2.3/XEmacs

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 9 13:10:01 2002

Stefan Bruda writes:
 > At 06:27 -0400 on 9-8-2002 R Shapiro wrote:
 >  >
 >  > I _always_ use rpms when possible, rather than building directly from
 >  > tars and installing in /usr/local.  Packaged software is much easier to
 >  > deal with, and rpms are usually easy to find.
 >
 > Personally, I prefer to build from sources whenever I have a choice.
 > To me, this does offer more flexibility, and I like in general to
 > tweak around and not simply follow the instructions.

You can do both :) Get a src rpm, install it, tweak the .spec file to
your hearts content and update the release number.  Run rpm -ba and
you're all set - you'll end up with a manageable package that has all
your preferred tweaks.  It's really no worse than running configure,
make and make install, and this way you can easily keep multiple
versions around, in case you decide after 10 experiments that
tweak-set #2 was the best.  Try that with raw tarballs...

--
rshapiro@bbn.com