YDL in Windows shops?

Neil Jolly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 9 14:26:01 2002

On August 9, 2002 01:52 pm, Mark Jaffe wrote:
> Is anyone else in a situation such as I? I just started working in a Win2K
> shop and IT does not know how to handle a Mac-head (big surprise!)
>
> My pismo is triple boot (9.2, 10.1.5, and YDL 2.2 - 2.3 on CD waiting to
> install)
>
> How can I handle such things as network browsing, shares, printers, etc? I
> suppose I could run Win2K on VirtualPC but that would not be too fast on a
> 400MHz G3 :P
>
> Mark

With 9.2 you'd have to use Dave (it's the software not the guy)

With 10.1 you can mount smb shares from the go -> Connect To Server Menu,
(smb://netbiosname/share, and then enter the workgroup, user name, and passwd
at the prompt. In 10.2 you'll be able to browse for them as well. I'm not
sure about printers, but you should be able to do the same with them. Current
limitations are one share mounted at a time though. I'm not sure if that'll
change in 10.2 or not.

With ydl you can use samba, and join the domain, or use smbmount to mount
shares. (man smbmount). There's also GnoSamba, and a couple of other gui
front ends for smbmount that I can't recall right now.
--
Neil Jolly

(with Yoda-like voice)
"Confrontation leads to anger...  Anger leads to fear...  Fear leads
to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems...  And this is
how the ancients fell...