XFree problems in YDL 2.3

Ben Beachy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 12 07:48:01 2002

My apologies if this has been discussed before but I've searched through th=
e archives, and elsewhere online, and I'm stumped. Anyway . . .

I just installed YDL 2.3 on my PowerBook G3 series (Wallstreet II) yesterda=
y. The install went fine but when I attempted to start X Windows I ran into=
 trouble. The complete dump is below, but the short version is that the sys=
tem can't find the bitmap and pcidata modules, and without those modules it=
 can't run.

I found a few similar reports from users of other (x86) distros and the gen=
eral advice was to reinstall X. On a whim I reinstalled YDL yesterday, but =
the problem remained. I maintain Linux servers at work, but XFree is not my=
 area of expertise. Any thoughts?

Ben Beachy.

--

startx
net-tools 1.60

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (echo Yellow Dog Linux release: 4.2.0-6.30e) / X Wind=
ow System
Release Date: 23 January 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.19-3b ppc [ELF]
Build Host: kaelta.terraplex.com

Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (=3D=3D) default setting,
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Aug 12 09:34:38 2002=

(=3D=3D) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.