GNOME install from Ximian - doesn't support unknown ?!?!???

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 15 21:14:01 2002

on 8/15/02 9:09 PM, Chris Ruprecht at chris@cdrbill.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to d/l the latest GNOME Desktop with
> lynx  -source http://go-gnome.com/ | sh
> but it fails, telling me
>
> Error!
>
> Sorry, the operating system unknown is not supported by this
> Ximian Desktop CD. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please see
> http://www.ximian.com/desktop/ for more information.
>

> Cleaning up temporary files... done.
>
> Can anybody shed some light on how to overcome this? The Ximian site says that
> YDL 2.2 is supported - I'm running YDL 2.3.
> I would really like to get GNOME 2.0.1 to work, does anybody know if it's been
> released for YDL yet?
>
> Best regards,
> Chris

Just because YDL 2.2 is supported, you shouldn't expect 2.3 to work.  If you
really need clarification, you should contact the folks at Ximian - I'm sure
they can provide some sort of timeframe as to when it will be officially
available.

It's been my experience that Ximian is very picky about the version of RPM
running on the machine - at least that has been the case with RedHat.  When
RedHat 7.3 came out, you would get the same message from Ximian & it all had
to do with the version of RPM that shipped on 7.3.  I was told that you
could make it work by downgrading RPM to the previous version... But who in
their right mind would want to do that???

Maybe there is a YDL 2.3 specific workaround, & if so I'm sure someone will
post it.  However, it's probably best just to wait a little while longer &
get it from Ximian without the need to tweak too many things on your system.

Good luck.