swap space??

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 19 08:12:01 2002

--=-5VFGLR/Hap6w68QzP3iL

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 09:54, Michael George wrote:

> >> I thought the 256Mb limit was eliminated in the 2.4 kernels.
> >
> > 	It was.
> So I can allocate as much as I wish, correct?

1024Mb currently. If you want more, set up several swap partitions.

> Why not?  I have 120Gb disk and 1Gb isn't going to be noticed.  I have=20
> the HDD space and I don't want to ever run short.

That's really a fallacy. More than twice the size of RAM is usually
useless, as whenever there is twice more swap than available memory
used, the system begins to thrash so heavily just swapping and restoring
data from swap, that it becomes unresponsive anyway.

Regards,
--=20
 0>  Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
/ )  Duke University Physics Sysadmin