Mount HFS+ (was: Re: Converting OS X AddressBook to KAddress?)

Angela Kahealani yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 19 17:11:00 2002

"Timothy A. Seufert" wrote:

> At 9:59 PM -1000 8/18/02, Angela Kahealani wrote:
> >"Timothy A. Seufert" wrote:
> >>  Apple's Mail program keeps mail in mbox format, understood by
> >>  countless other programs.  (It has indexes and other info in some
> >>  custom format, but the actual mail is kept in bog standard mbox
> >>  files.)
> >
> >...and it splits the contents of "a mailbox" into several files,
> >yes each in mbox format, but what Apple's Mail displays as
> >"a mailbox", to be exported, has to be reconstructed from
> >several files...
> >multiply that by the number of "mailboxes" you have.
>
> You are using Linux (or MacOS X).  This is not a big problem.

I know that it's very important to your ego to be seen by others
as an expert, but you keep asserting things you know nothing
about. I happen to run a triple boot system, MacOS 9.2.2,
MacOSuX 10.1.5, and YDL 2.3. The problem occurred when I tried
to backtrack from 10 to 9, rebuilding mailboxes in 9 after
having imported them into X's Mail program. Therefore, there was
no "cat" available. Yes, I rebooted in X to solve that problem.

>    cat "`find . -type f -name mbox`" >bigmbox

No, I didn't want one huge mbox, I was trying to preserve the
individual mailboxes, so it took multiple "cats". I used tcsh
foreach to spawn 1 kitten per mbox to be reconstructed.

> will find all files under the current directory and its tree of
> children with the name mbox, and concatenate their contents into a
> new file named bigmbox.  As the mbox format is very simple, just a
> bunch of messages in plain ASCII format, this suffices.

Yes, I'm well aware of RFC822. While the peculiarities of the
internal organizations of MacOSuX and Linux are new to me, I've
been running UNIXes since 1982. And, it ain't just plain ASCII
format, as all body lines beginning with "From" have to be
preceeded with ">" to not break a message into a truncated
message and a headerless piece of garbage. Are we escalating
enough into an offtopic flame war yet? You don't REALLY want to
get into a battle with me over computer expertness. Let's just
acknowledge that we each have our areas of expertise, and areas
of ignorance, and get back on topic.

> >>  As for Address Book, the 10.2 version has learned how to export in
> >>  vcard format.  This may not help somebody with the 10.1 version (like
> >>  the original poster), but tends to indicate that Apple felt the 10.1
> >>  version was lacking in that department.
> >
> >10.1.5 only exported ONE vcard at a time,
> >not the same as exporting "the addressbook".
> >Does 10.2 version of Address Book export
> >the entire addressbook as a set of vcards?
> >or is it still limited to exporting manually tediously
> >one vcard at a time?
>
> Multiple selection (shift + click, command + click, or cmd-A)
> followed by export works.  I don't have 10.1 handy to see if it
> worked back then too.

I tried all of those, and the AddressBook refused to allow me to
select more than one entry at a time. Further, if you check it
out carefully, as of 10.1.5, the AddressBook allows you to
import entries with a multitude of fields, which I used, and the
vcard format it exports only exports a subset of those fields,
so that there is a loss of the data from the non-exported
fields... what you get out is less that what you put in.
Therefore, THERE IS NO EXPORT CAPABILITY AS OF 10.1.5. Now, can
we get back ON TOPIC in this mailing list, which would be YDL,
not 9 or X?  Unless... you know how I can mount WRITABLE an HFS+
partition under YDL 2.3. Which brings me back to my 3boot system...

I originally installed OSuX on a UFS partition, which is not
back-uppable by any Mac 9 or X programs. It's not mountable
under YDL. So, I just rebuilt my OSuX partition as HFS+, since
OSuX won't install on HFS. Running a Beige G3 RevA, the OSuX
partition is limited to the first 8GB of my HD. YDL has its' own
HD. OSuX won't mount any of the YDL partitions. The bulk of the
Mac HD is some 50GB beyond the bootable 8GB, and that's where
the bulk of my usable data lives, on an HFS+ partition where I'm
not cramped by 31 character file/dir names or 2GB file limits.
BUT... while YDL will mount HFS partitions, and has some hacks
to allow messing with an HFS+ partition, I haven't succeeded
getting it mounted WRITABLY, but I think that's because the code
in YDL which references /etc/fstab? (I forget, I'm running in 9
now) which automounts partitions at boot sees that partition as
the HFS wrapper around the HFS+ structure, and mounts it as it
presents itself: readonly. Appearantly only by NOT automounting
at boot and then manually mounting with the HFS+tools will I be
able to access it writably, and until that works, I can't really
USE YDL. Anyone have refernces to info on this issue?

--
Copyright 2002 Angela Kahealani. All Rights Reserved Without
Prejudice, UCC 1-207. All information and transactions are