bash: ./eclipse: cannot execute binary file

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Aug 24 20:44:01 2002

On Sat August 24 2002 12:31, Pietro Pesci-Feltri C. wrote:
> I'm trying to test eclipse and build it with ant but when I try to run =
the
> executable file, bash gave me this message:
>
> bash: ./eclipse: cannot execute binary file
>
> Can someone explain this message to me?

the file is in a format which is not recognized. There are a number of=20
possibilities:

1. the file (shell script) begins with
#!/bin/some-program
and /bin/some-program doesn't exist.

2. The file doesn't have the correct permissions

3. The file is of a binary format the kernel doesn't recognize.

To check, do a
file eclipse
and see what file type it is.
If you get something like this, maybe:
ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500 ... blah blah blah ...
then, it should be executable but your permissions might be wrong.

If it says something like=20
ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,

well, the problem is obvious :).

if it says 'perl script' or something to that extent, make sure the first=
 line=20
actually points to where perl or wish (for tk/tcl stuff) or whatever it s=
ays=20
there, actually exists on your system.

Best regards,
Chris