Hard disk Partitions

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 26 13:58:01 2002

At 9:23 AM -0700 8/26/02, Bill Mueller wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am trying to get control of my hard disk partitions.  I would like MACOS
>9.2, Yellow Dog 2.2, and an old DOS partitions to sit on the same disk.  The
>trick is to have the dos partition on hda1.
>
>I've been playing with this a while, and I am stuck.  As far as I can tell,
>you are unable to create an HFS partition in Linux (someone please prove me
>wrong).

You have to create a partition with custom partition type/name,
specify Apple_HFS for the type, then use hformat to put a HFS file
system on it.

>Furthest I got was to define an HFS partition on the last half of
>the disk with MAC disk utility, then install YDL on the lower half.  Doing
>this, I can't get fdisk to reconize the partitions to make my dos partition.
>
>Any ideas?

fdisk is only useful for disks with DOS partition tables.  pdisk is
what you want, it's a program similar to fdisk that works with Mac
partition tables.  The other tool you'll need is mkdosfs, which
creates a FAT filesystem on the partition of your choice.
--
Tim Seufert