Hard disk Partitions

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Aug 27 14:09:01 2002

At 11:32 AM -0700 8/27/02, Bill Mueller wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Heres whats going on.  I formated one partion with the HFS file system.
>Then using the xhfs utility, I copied over all the files and directories
>from the Mac OS disk to the new partition.  When I start MOL, something is
>missing and it won't boot.
>
>Are there hidden/system files that need to be copied that xhfs might have
>missed?

No, but what it probably didn't do is to bless the System Folder.
"Bless" means setting a special field in the HFS filesystem to point
at the System Folder.  MacOS won't boot from a non-blessed System
Folder.  If you copy a System Folder with MacOS, it will usually
automatically bless it.

You can tell a System Folder is blessed by its folder icon -- if it
isn't, it will look like any other folder, and if it is, it will have
a little Mac displayed over the middle of the standard folder icon.

You can probably give MOL access to both disks, and do the copying
with the existing Macintosh system.  You could even try just seeing
if blessing the System Folder does the trick -- all you have to do is
(with the MacOS Finder) move the System file out of the System
Folder, then move it back in.
--
Tim Seufert