No more journalling?! ext3 fs problems

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 28 01:51:01 2002

Hi everybody,

I have YDL 2.3 Workstation/Development installation running on an ANS
700/200. Everything works fine, exept for some oddities with ext3 fs.

After installing YDL, I used the script from the YDL 2.3 install CD to
convert my partitions to ext3. Partition scheme is as follows:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
  #:                type name    length   base    ( size )
  1: Apple_partition_map Apple       63 @ 1
  2:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /boot   102401 @ 64      ( 50.0M)
  3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap    262145 @ 102465  (128.0M)
  4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /      8023705 @ 364610  (  3.8G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=8388315 (4.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Mount also gives me the correct values for the filesystems:

/dev/sda4 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext3 (rw)

Now the problem: being forced to hard reset the machine a few times, due
to some kernel testing, I found out, that sda4 always gets an fsck,
whereas for sda2 the journal is recovered! Now, I find that the
filestamp of .journal on / [sda4] is appx. 8 days old. The /boot [sda2]
directory does not even contain a .journal file.

What happened? Obviously, journalling still works for my /boot partition
whereas somehow journalling for / has gotten corrupted. How can I fix
that? Either it is not obvious to me, or it is not that easy to convert
back to ext2 and then turn to ext3 again in order to get things fixed.

Any help appreciated.

Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040