Boot problems after install Part II

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 29 05:19:01 2002

At 8:53 PM -0700 8/28/02, Mark Walker wrote:
>I was able to see this much of the error message after it gave up trying to
>load the kernel:
>dev 08:04 blksize=512 blocknr=14578641 sector=14578641 size=512 count=1
>hfs_fs: unable to read block 0x00de73d1 from dev 08:04
>attempt tp access beyond end of device
>08:04: rw=0, want 7289321, limit 20480
>
>My boot loader is on sda4 (20MB), swap is sda6 (256MB), ext2 is on sda7
>(6.8GB)
>sda1 & 2 are Mac related as is sda5 which is MacOS 9 (1.5GB)
>Sdb is a 4.5 GB drive in Mac HFS
>
>Thinking it might be scsi termination related I've tried every possible
>combination following manufacture direction and making some up as I go.  I
>also moved the drives to different positions on the scsi cable.  I also made
>sda scsi id 1 instead of 0.  I also tried it with just sda connected.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's SCSI termination that causes
that error.  08:04 is another notation for sda4.  08 is the major
device number for sda, 04 is the minor device number for partition 4.
Actually, it's a little more complicated than that, but it suffices
to say that 08:04 is the device number corresponding to sda4.

 From the errors, it looks as though the kernel's HFS filesystem
driver is trying to read block 7289321 from sda4, even though that
partition has just 20480 blocks.  20480 blocks equals 20MB if they're
1KB blocks, which is a likely block size for a 20MB HFS file system,
so at least that much makes sense.

What boot loader are you trying to use?  It looks like either it or
something in the kernel is a bit confused about what to expect on
partition sda4.
--
Tim Seufert