OT: Powerbook Memory Upgrade

Rickard E yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Aug 31 15:03:01 2002

William Carty wrote:

> Thought this would be a good place to ask...
>
> My lombard powerbook only came with 64mb of memory.  I'd like to upgrade
> that to 128mb fairly soon.  Can't say I've done a lot of work with Mac
> hardware - have thrown a few nubus cards around, but nothing with a laptop.
>
> Is this a major thing to do?  Anyone that's done it have any pointers or
> suggestions for what to do or not to do?
>
> I was thinking of buying the upgrade from Crucial.  I've had good luck with
> them on the PC side, anyone recommend them for Macs? Any better place to buy
> the memory?
>
> Thanks.
> Will

I paid for having such an upgrade performed - I was charged for 15 minutes and
the memory stick.
Since laptops generally seem very fragile inside, I thought it was a good
idea... It didn't look to conplicated,
though. If you have one 64M stick, I think you could add a 128M stick to get
192 for just a little more money.

It would be interesting to know, whether adding RAM to such an extent as to go
beyond the size of the
swap partition could cause problems, as might be the case here (and was for
me).

Cheers
/RID