Installing YDL onto beige G3 (266)

Paolo G. Cordone yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 2 04:37:01 2002

I am having a problem when trying to install YDL (either 2.2 or 2.3
from the original CD) onto an old beige G3 (266) with 4 Gigs of disk
space and about 256 Megs of RAM.

I have partitioned the drive into two partitions, one unallocated and
one for Mac OS. Onto the 1GB partition I have installed Mac OS 8.6.
Then, I proceed in the usual way, but running the YDL installer,
going through the motion of defining the mount points (bootloader,
swap and /) and everything goes according to plan.

The installation procedure starts and proceeds as follows:

1) "Reading the install media package database"

2) "Resolving package dependencies"

3) "Transferring packages"

Suddenly, just before the overall progress bar begins to fill, the
following error dialog comes up:

=====================
Error
-----
Errors running transaction set!

Please correct this manually."

If I click OK, I get:

"Package install failed.
=====================

I have tried and re-tried, re-partitioning, changing the partition
order (Mac OS first, unallocated second, etc.), selecting only
specific packages, etc. To no avail. The CDs are not damaged as I
have used them to install the software many times onto other Macs.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Paolo
--
Paolo G. Cordone
Associate Lecturer - Information & Communication Technology