L2 Cache and Processor Speed

Blake Skinner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 2 10:29:01 2002

Just installed a Sonnet G3/500 upgrade into my 8500 running YDL 2.3.
I'm just wondering if the proc/cpuinfo is accurate. According to the
file, my CPU is running at 200Mhz. However when using PowerLogix's
software (Sonnet's sw is some of the worst i've used) under MacOS 9,
the speed is reported as 500Mhz. Here is the output from cat
/proc/cpuinfo:
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 16-19 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 195MHz
revision        : 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
bogomips        : 999.42
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,7500 MacRISC
detected as     : 16 (PowerMac 7500)
pmac flags      : 00000000
memory          : 272MB
l2cr override   : 0xbd000000
pmac-generation : OldWorld
---------
Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only
be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.

People don't make the same mistake twice -- they make it three times,
four times...

Join in the new game that's sweeping the country.  It's called
"Bureaucracy".  Everybody stands in a circle.  The first person to do
anything loses.