SCSI Problem

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 3 15:53:01 2002

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 09:59  AM, Drew Lane wrote:

> I can't seem to access my hard drive with Mac OS on it from Linux.
>
> In fact, that particular hard drive doesn't even show up in Linux.
>
> Here's my setup:
>
> SCSI bus 0, ID 0 - 1GB Drive with Mac OS 9
> SCSI bus 0, ID 1 - 9GB Drive with YDL 2.2
>
> What's weird is that I'm using /dev/sda6 for the "Root Device" in BootX
> (I got /dev/sda6 from the YDL installer, but I would have thought it
> was /dev/sdb6 )

It would be sdb6 _if_ your drive at ID 0 was showing up.  Linux assigns
sda, sdb, etc. in the order that it finds devices as it scans SCSI
busses, not by ID number.  (Unlike ATA disks, where hda is always the
master on the first IDE bus, hdb the slave on the first bus, etc.)

> Thing is, I can see all of my drives using pdisk (or other utilities)
> under Mac OS 9.
>
> Also, I occassionaly have boot problems with the error message:
> "kernel panic no init found "

Those would be times when the drive at ID 0 (for whatever reason) does
manage to be scanned by the Linux kernel during the SCSI initialization
process, and therefore ID 0 ends up as sda and ID 1 as sdb.  The no
init found kernel panic means that the kernel could not find the init
binary (init is the first process started) on the specified root FS.

> Any ideas?  Could this be a SCSI termination issue?

Possibly... how's your chain terminated?  It could also be a drive that
is somewhat slow to respond after a SCSI bus reset and doesn't always
get caught by the bus scan.  What kind of a drive is it?

(Ya wanna buy a drive?  :)  I've got three 9.2 GB Cheetah 18XL drives
(~35 MB/s, ~5ms seek) that got decommissioned a while back when I got a
15K RPM drive, and I haven't found a use for them since, so I guess
it's time to find a new home for them...)