APT-GET is rabbit-dung ... please confirm/deny

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 5 21:22:01 2002

--=-bQiOkRu1CElvcng6E6/g

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 21:52, Markus Deistler wrote:
> Maybe the concept of packetmanagers like dpkg/rpm which manage
> prebuilt-binaries more or less doomed anyway, at least for smaller
> platforms. In order to stay really current on a PPC I have to install fro=
> source very often, because YDL and others lag behind. That's why I seriou=
sly
> think on trying Gentoo-Linux, which follows a BSD-like
> meta-distribution-approach.

You obviously haven't administered upwards of 250 boxes. A good package
management system is a lifesaver, as well as a good package system. I
mean, I break stuff on my own box all the time, but I wouldn't even
remotely consider running a cluster of machines built from tarballs.

Brrr, I get shivers just thinking that.=20

--=20
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin
www.phy.duke.edu/~icon/pubkey.asc