Frame Buffer problems

Ellis Skinazi yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 10 15:11:01 2002

Hi

To use the Frame Buffer in XFree86 there is a line in the XF86Config-4 file
with 'Driver "ati"' for the video card, and that has to be changed to
'Driver "fbdev"' ... ignore ' but keep ".

If the video output is messed up you can exit by Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to kill
Xfree86 ... provided you started it with the 'startx' command. If you edit
the XF86Config-4 file from within Xfree86 and things go wrong (video output
scrambled) it could be a problem!

The Frame Buffer mode can be changed using the "fbset" command from the
console e.g. 'fbset "1024x768-75"' (to use 1024x768 @ 75Hz refresh) as the
default resolution in XFree86 will be the same as the console Frame Buffer
... if memory serves me well.

Sometimes the video output isn't just "quite right" in Xfree86 - picture
skewed, bad colour - and that can be corrected with the addition of a
"ModeLine" to XF86Config-4 by typing "fbset -x" at the console or "fbset -x
> some_file" to put the info in a file that can be inserted into
XF86Config-4. Just insert the info. from "fbset -x" into the ModeLine
Section in XF86Config-4.

Regards
Ellis