Trouble in building module SpeedTouch (for ADSL modem)

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 16 11:15:01 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:12:32PM +0100, René Bourion wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have an ADSL connection that works well on my iMac running Mac OS 9, using
> a modem called Alcatel SpeedTouch. I now want the same service with YDL 2.3.
> There is a detailed Howto for installing it on Linux, which I am trying to
> follow.
>
> I have come upon a snag in building the SpeedTouch module. Here is the
> message:
>
> [root@localhost SpeedTouch]# cd /opt/SpeedTouch
> [root@localhost SpeedTouch]# make
> gcc -O2 -Wstrict-prototypes  -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
> -fno-strength-reduce -DCPU=686 -march=i686 -Wall -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
> -DLINUX
> -I/usr/src/linux/include/ -I../sarlib// -c
> speedtouch.c -o speedtouch.o
> cc1: Invalid option `arch=i686'
> In file included from speedtouch.c:13:
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/malloc.h:4: warning: #warning linux/malloc.h is
> deprecated, use linux/slab.h instead.
> make: *** [speedtouch.o] Error 1
> [root@localhost SpeedTouch]#
>
> One would think that the references to "686" are not correct for the
> PowerPC; I therefore tried to replace them with "ppc" or something like that
> in the makefile, but I did not succeed.
>
> Could someone suggest the right way to correct the makefile in order to make
> the thing work? I should be most grateful.
>
> R.B.

René,

I'm not a makefile guru, but here's what I would try.  Edit the CFLAGS line and
just delete the entries for -DCPU and -march.  gcc should be smart enough to
know which architecture to build.

If this doesn't work, can you provide the link to the HOWTO for installing it?

If it does work, please let us know.

--
Ken Schweigert, Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC