Problem with PowerLogix G3/400 upgrade

Chris Plummer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 18 12:09:01 2002

I'm having problems with YLD 2.2 crashing after installing a PowerLogix
G3400 on my 8500. It seems to crash quite easily when doing stuff that
is both cpu intensive and disk intensive, like compilations or using
rpm. Running things that are just cpu intensive doesn't seem to crash.
Also, I can run KDE with no problem. Here's the the situation:

-8500/120 (now a G3 of course)
-stock 2x CD-ROM drive
-stock 2GB scsi drive
-2nd internal 4GB scsi drive, running YLD in one partition.
-PowerLogix G3/400, running with factory settings (400Mhz cpu,
 50Mhz bus)
-L2 motherboard cache removed (it was causing failure to boot).
-Two new 128MB DIMMs, certified for use with G3 upgrade. All old
 DIMMs were reomved.
-G3 upgrade and DIMMs bought at same time from OWC.
-No PCI cards.
-Speculative Addressing, backside cache, and write through are
 all disabled using the Cache Profiler. Cache ratio is set to 3:1.

At first I had problems with very frequent freezes on MacOS 8.1 (much
worse then I currently have with linux). Then I realized the problem was
that I had enabled speculative addressing, so I disabled it using the
Cache Profiler app and everything has been fine for MacOS 8.1 since then
(even when the backside cache and write through are enabled).

I've tried disabling the backside cache using bootx. I'm not sure if
it's actually disabling it or not. In any case, it didn't help any. Is
there anything else I need to do with bootx. Is there a way to explicity
disable speculative addressing in bootx, or is it disabled by default?

BTW, the Cache Profiler option that is suppose to save bootx settings
doesn't seem to work. The mod date of my bootx prefs remains unchanged.

Chris Plummer