Server 'freezing'

Peter Bagnall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 18 13:33:01 2002

Is the machine running off a UPS? This might be a long shot, but if you
had a brownout or very brief power cut you might find that you get some
memory corruption. I have no clue about how plausible this is, maybe
someone else will know if it's likely, but if you don't have a UPS then
maybe that's the problem.

The things that makes me think of this is you saying it seems to happen
most early on monday. If there's a large piece of equipment that gets
powered up monday morning then that could be what's giving you spikes
that are doing the damage. Spikes are easily solved with a surge
protector, but very short cuts in power, even just a few milliseconds I
believe, can cause problems.

Of course if you're running on a UPS then this ain't it (unless it's
broken ;-) ).

This is a bit of a dead chicken waving suggestion, but since you're out
of options, I guess anything is worth a try.

Good luck

Pete