Server 'freezing'

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 19 10:51:01 2002

> I have a similar problem with a beige G3-233 that is running an
> EZMLM listserv.  It runs great until a client sends a huge
> message to their list.  I know this is what causes it because
> once it restarts there are hundreds of messages trying to send.

I run postfix and mailman, but the lists on it are light duty, and
the only one the gets any volumn is text only (a moderator
actually is the only one who posts to the list).

> I suspect my problem, as well as yours, is hard disk related.

That's my suspicion too.  I put a new UPS on it last night; we'll
see what happens to it.

> I've ran TechTools from OS9 and everything is fine except for
> the test it can't run: linux drive test.  The e2fsprogs suite,
> which fsck is part of, has a utility called badblocks which
> obviously checks your drive for bad blocks.  I have yet to try
> it.  My system is a production
> system so I'm a little leary about hosing the filesystem.
>
> If you decide to run it, and it fixes things for you, please
> post back to the list.

Does the badblocks utility put the filesystem at risk?  Do I have
to take the server offline to use it?  I'll research it but if
someone has a quick answer before I get to it later this morning
I'd appreciate a rundown on it.

Rob