Server 'freezing'

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 20 08:28:00 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 06:12:39PM -0000, Rob Brandt wrote:
> > I suspect my problem, as well as yours, is hard disk related.
> > I've ran TechTools from OS9 and everything is fine except for
> > the test it can't run: linux drive test.  The e2fsprogs suite,
> > which fsck is part of, has a utility called badblocks which
> > obviously checks your drive for bad blocks.  I have yet to try
> > it.  My system is a production
> > system so I'm a little leary about hosing the filesystem.
>
> man badblocks advises that this command should be run through
> e2fsck  with the -c parameter, which I did.  On two tries, at
> (near?) identical places, I got "Segmentation Fault"s.  At which
> time it seems to have crashed.
>
> Advice?  Anyone?

Make sure you have the latest version e2fsprogs.
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ shows the latest version being
v1.32.  Not sure if there's an RPM for it yet.  You can always
download the source and compile yourself and then specifically
execute the new version.

Also, did fsck leave a core file when it segfaulted?  If so, you
can use gdb and find out what happened when it dumped.
  [root@byteme root]# gdb /sbin/fsck core

-ken