Bye Bye YellowDog ... hello Gentoo

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Dec 21 20:26:01 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 21:18, Bernard Mentink wrote:
> 1. No dependancy Hell !!!

Dependency hell is guaranteed with any system, unless you compile
everything statically.

> 2. Compiled source optimized for my machine.

This must be one of the silliest fads out there. Besides, while this is
relatively applicable to the x86 systems, I really-really doubt that gcc
will make any distinction between ppc processors, so compiling a piece
of software on your g4 will very likely result in the identical code as
compiled on any other ppc processor.

> 3. Easy, easy system or app software update with a single command

...until, of course, you have more than one machine you have to update
and you come to a sudden realization that compiling the same code on 250
machines to arrive at the same result is an incredible waste of
processing power.

> 4. Just better/faster yadayada ....

That's very subjective. Your better is my worse.

> 5. Get forum support.

And what are we? Boiled cabbage? :)

--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev