Beige G3 no sound (still)

Rob yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 31 03:31:01 2002

I get the following message at bootup:

Window title:  Informational - artsmessage

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I have tried the procedures at
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/sound.shtml
but no success at all (no cd, no mp3, no system sounds).

Xmms does not recognize a music cd but KsCD does and gives me the time
on the cd.  I can connect with url to a streaming mp3 site in xmms and
can see the text messages in the player as well as activity but no
sound.  No sound from the Sound Server in Control Center either.

I have a /dev/dsp as well as a dsp1 and dsp2.  All of them are 0 bytes.

I think the correct name for my sound card is an A/V Personality card.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

TIA,

Rob