Internal or PCMCIA modem on PowerBook G4 - working on YDL 2.2, anyone?

Fred Laxton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 1 12:11:01 2002

I'm out of town this week, and so I'm using modem dialup for email, etc. for
the first time since I got YDL 2.2 working on this machine, a PowerBook G4
550 MHz.  I was pretty sure that the internal (software?) modem on this
machine doesn't work on YDL, and attempts to use it have failed.  Has anyone
gotten a PCMCIA modem to work? I do have my IBM Microdrive (with PCMCIA
adapter) working in the PCMCIA slot under Linux.  When I insert a PCMCIA 56K
modem card, it shows up on the PCMCIA devices in KDE Control Panel -
Information.  Attempts to configure KPPP to use it fail.  There "seems" to
be a device on /dev/ttyS0 or ttyS1, but the Query Modem returns nothing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  I really don't like booting up
OS X for this...   :-(

Fred