OS X to Linux transition - Help needed!

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 3 13:01:01 2002

    David> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 23:23, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
    >> I believe so. I'm currently running RedHat 7.3 on a company
    >> notebook (Acer, 600 MHz) and the machine is just so much faster
    >> then this stupid MacOS X. I HATE MacOS X - I just don't want to
    >> live without the very good applications which are out there for
    >> it.
    >>
    >> And of course, BBEdit - how could I forget? I use vim
    >> extensively on Linux, and I really like vim - but there is no
    >> substitue for "Open from FTP server". Can't we convince
    >> BareBones to port it to Linux?

    David> That is why i just bought quanta gold from thekompany.com
    David> (they have 3.3 as a linuxppc binary) and supports open from
    David> ftp.  but, it won't really run without qt3 installed, so i
    David> will wait for my YDL 2.3 disks to use it.

Not to start any religious wars :), but if you want a free editor that
does ftp file reads, xemacs can (I believe with the default install)
do open from ftp. If you add tramp, you can edit files with ftp,
rsh/rcp, or, (my favorite) ssh/scp.

    David> yeah, MacOS X is sooo slooow on my tibook 400.  its
    David> ridiculous.  apple should at least let us turn off half of
    David> the hoggy-drop shadow crap.

way slow on mine too. I like the idea of pdf graphics, but the current
reality just doesn't seem worth using.

Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com