Quanta (Was: Re: OS X to Linux transition - Help needed!)

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 3 23:07:01 2002

on 7/3/02 1:08 PM, wtaggar@uark.edu purportedly said:

> Quanta rocks by the way. It is better that BBEdit...wish I would get it
> for YDL>

I have been looking for something comparable to BBEdit, but haven't been
able to find anything decent, so perhaps the Quanta diehards can help answer
some questions.

1) Does it work with anything other than HTML (namely: JavaScript, XML,
C/++, Perl PHP)?
2) Does it provide function popups with distinction between definitions and
prototypes?
3) Can you perform multi-file search/replace with at least the same kind of
functionality as BBEdit?
4) Is its open from/save to FTP functionality intelligent (e.g., BBEdit's
implementation is very inefficient, having to go through the entire
authentication process for every connection attempt, including just getting
a listing for the save dialog as well as uploading the file)?
5) What kind of automation/scripting hooks are there?

I assume that Quanta supports at least POSIX extended regexes with callbacks
(PCRE would be best), paren balancing, and at least hooks for syntax
checking and automatic execution (executing or compiling/executing from the
application). Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the time to even install. Of
course, these things matter to code developers more than web designers.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.