ydl2.3 questions: Nautilus and CUPS

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 8 09:35:01 2002

I downloaded the 2.3 installer over the weekend and now I can finally
run something later than 2.1 on my Quicksilver 867 (2.2 doesn't
install on that platform).  Most things have gone smoothly; two, so
far, have not: Nautilus and CUPS.

1. Nautilus refuses to run, complaing about gconf

Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:

  Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is
  that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but
  it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines
  at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)

The message is meaningless to me.  No gconfd is running anywhere on
this machine.  The babble about "logged in from two machines" is
completely irrelevant.

2.  I configured a remote lpr printer in CUPS, an HP LaserJet 8150
accessible from a server running on a Solaris host.  If I attempt to
print anything at all, CUPS says the job completed successfully, the
printer waits awhile and then prints an error page telling me the
connection timed out.  I have no problem whatever talking to this
printer from my YDL 2.1 installation, which uses the old LPR package.

Any assistance appreciated.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com