YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

Ted Johansson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 12:05:00 2002

On Thursday 11 July 2002 HH:45, Bill Fink wrote:

> To investigate why it was taking konqueror so long to startup, I did an
> strace of starting konqueror.  After a bunch of activity it finally did=
:

=2E....................

> brk(0x100b8000)                         =3D 0x100b8000
> brk(0x100bb000)                         =3D 0x100bb000
> brk(0x100c0000)                         =3D 0x100c0000
>
> At this point it just waited for about 9 seconds.  Then there was a lit=
tle
> more activity followed by:

=2E....................

> munmap(0x30058000, 4096)                =3D 0
>
> Here there was another delay of about 9 seconds.  These two delays of
> 9 seconds each for a total of 18 seconds account for most of the about
> 20 seconds it takes for konqueror to startup.  Checking ps during the
> delays showed that konqueror was not waiting for anything but was in
> a run state, basically just spinning its heels.

I did the same observation using strace on the 450 MHz imac, same log tex=
ts=20
etc.

The I did 'strace konqueoror' on the PC 466 MHz RH7.3 system. No appearen=
tly=20
delays.

So no more clues, but still same conclusion: something is broken with=20
KDE3/konqueror and YDL2.3.

Regards,   Ted