MacOS size weirdness

Bert Knabe yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 13 22:50:01 2002

There are a few things you can check to discover why your available
space is so far off. I apologize in advance for any suggestions you feel
are so basic I should no better than to mention.

1. Empty the trash (you might want to check it, first). If you've
crashed while running any programs that keep large files in disk cache
(swap in Linux terms ;) your system may have tried to salvage the file.
Usually it puts these files in the trash, and they can be huge (I've
seen files approaching a gig)

2. Check your virtual memory settings (and perhaps throw away your
memory prefs).

3. Do you have a RAM disk set up?

4. Get a utility that will show invisible files and allow you to make
them visible. See what invisible files you have and how large they are.

5. Get a copy of Disk Warrior and run it. Directory damaage can cause
errors in how much free space your computer thinks a disk has. Ditto
Norton or Techtool. Disk Warrior won't tell you if the disk itself has
problems.

Hope one of these helps.

Bert Knabe