php extensions for ppc?

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 14 10:51:01 2002

on 7/13/02 10:08 PM, bronto@csd-bes.net purportedly said:

> I'm working with a new php application that has a feature for compressing a
> file.  The php code tests:
>
> if (@function_exists('gzcompress'))
>
> and the option in the script isn't available, so I am assuming that I do
> not have this function available to my php.

That is generally a safe assumption.

> Is this an extension that I can drop in?  Or do I have to recompile php?

I don't recall whether PHP compiles in zlib support by default, but even if
it does it may skip support if the configure script couldn't find it. To
make sure, you would configure with --with-zlib=/path/to/zlib . Which means
that you have to recompile.

> On a related question that I've always wondered, are .so files platform
> specific, or will any .so work with ppc?

An .so, like an application, is compiled code. So like an application, is
not only architecture-dependent, but also OS-dependent.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.