MacOS size weirdness

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 14 22:44:01 2002

Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpalacios@mac.com> said:

> 	And as a side comment to the original poster, regardless of your
> findings I would *STRONGLY* recommend, as a "Mac support guy", to
run a
> disk utility when such strong discrepancies are found in sizes when
> reported from different sources. Most of the comments about the
> difference between file size and disk usage are pretty accurate, to say
> the least, but I still don't think the numbers will account for THAT
> difference when put together with the concepts explained.

But part of what puzzles me is that this is occurring on a /brand new/
installation.  I just reformatted the whole hard drive and did a basic
installation off a MacOS 9.1 install CD.  I haven't had time to corrupt
anything.  =)  Unless you think this indicates some more serious
problem--corruption in the formatting itself, or (god forbid) some
physical problem with the disk.  I'm probably going to reformat again
within the next few days, so it's not like this is an installation I'm going to
be depending on.  But it is hardware I'll be depending on, and I'd like to
get to the root of this before I reformat, in case it informs the sizes or
filesystems I choose...

--Andrew