Sound problems - guidance needed

Cameron Paterson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 19 00:22:02 2002

Howdy

Thanks to all those who replied to my earlier post (Juan and Alejandro -
proper reply tomorrow) I have (at least for the time being) solved the
'respawing too fast" error which was prevening login in my new copy of YDL
2.3. However I have now run straight into some hideous SOUND problems =8B I'm
either getting static only accompanied by the (I understand fairly common
arts) error "dev /dev/dsp can't be opened - no such device" or (if I restar=
X) system sound accompanied by static but no error message. CD players such
as XMMS produce no sound even when (as suggested on the YDL support pages) =
select the OSS driver instead of the arts driver (BTW - is that the same as
the 'Open Sound System' option in Sound Server? Is the latter better than
'Autodetect'?) I have tried setting sound quality to 8 bit in Sound Server
but this does not appear to make any difference (unless I did it wrong). As
of yet, I've only been able to stop the static by altering speaker settings
in Kmix but this effect only lasts until the next login - and I still have
no CD sound, etc.
Does anyone have a permanent solution to this issue before I tear my hair
out again? This must be a common issue given the very average status of my
hardware (iMac 600mhz)? Do I need to alter some config files? (If so, as a
newbie I'll need instructions...)

Thanks very much

CP