iLamp/tibook modem

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 21 14:21:01 2002

At 18:20 +0200 on 21-7-2002 Carsten Milling wrote:

 > Ok, just to satisfy my curiosity, I tried to get the modem work again
 > under my current setup (TiBook 400MHz, YDL 2.3 [with the 2.4.18 kernel
 > of YDL 2.2]). Here is what I did:

Well, I had no luck with my modem. I am not sure whether this is a
matter of hardware or configuration, but in case somebody is
interested let me summarize what happens in my case.

First, kppp does not detect a modem on /dev/ttyS0, but it does detect
one on /dev/ttyS1! But then all the ATI queries issued by the "Query
modem" command from kppp receive an empty answer.

wvdialconf exhibits the same behaviour (though I have no means of
seeing whether it detects or not any modem at all), saying between
other things:

  Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

  ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
  ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.

With modem set manually to /dev/ttyS{0|1} wvdial times out (in both
cases).

Then I ran setserial and I got the following result:

  [root@localhost bruda]# setserial -g -a /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS1
  /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0xe331f020, IRQ: 22
        Baud_base: 0, close_delay: 50, divisor: 16
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal

  /dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: unknown, Port: 0xe3326000, IRQ: 23
        Baud_base: 0, close_delay: 50, divisor: 16
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal

At first I thought that something looks fishy, namely the value 0 for
baud_base (the man page of setserial given another value as normal).
However, here is what setserial says on my other machine (an iMac
running (gasp) LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 (kernel 2.2.18-4hpmac) and which does
have a working modem on /dev/ttyS0 and nothing on /dev/ttyS1):

  [root@haplea bruda]# setserial -g -a /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS1
  /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0xc880d020, IRQ: 22
        Baud_base: 0, close_delay: 50, divisor: 16
        closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
        Flags: spd_normal

  /dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: unknown, Port: 0xc8814000, IRQ: 50
        Baud_base: 0, close_delay: 50, divisor: 16
        closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
        Flags: spd_normal

This is almost identical with the above, so after all it looks like
nothing is actually fishy. I thus assume that baud_base is dynamically
set whenever the modem fires up or something.

So, I don't have any other idea about what to try next (mind you, the
modem is not really a concern for me anyway, I would rather solve the
sleep problems on my machine first...).

For the record, here is my configuration:

TiBook 667MHz (rev III, the one with resolution of 1280x854)
YDL 2.2, but with kernel 2.4.19-rc1-ben0 and some other changes (none
         relevant to this issue I believe)
WvDial 1.41
Qt: 2.3.2
KDE: 2.2.2-2a
KPPP: 2.0.9

Might it be that KPPP 3.something (the one you use) is smarter? I
don't know, and I am reluctant to upgrade to KDE 3 since I do not use
(or like for that matter) KDE anyway.

Cheers,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.