video problem with ydl 2.3 and xfree86 on powerbook g4

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 26 04:26:01 2002

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__c316cc5e36aec103df2ab7594bea4435

 If I close the lid and let machine go to sleep, then the screen will get corrupted when machine wakes up.  After that the only thing that i can seem to do is abruptly power off.  But if I leave the display open, then the display is only blanked and not turn off.  So waking up the machine will not corrupt the display.

Power off without proper shutdown always cause corruption that require fsck to fix.  By the way, how good is fsck?  When fsck reports a problem is fixed is it truely fixed?  or is it a best effort attempt?  At one time the corruption even force me to do a reinstall.  Is there any way to bind the shutdown command to a key board key?  This way, even if I lose video I can still do a proper shutdown.

Over all I like the currently linux much more then OS Xs.  The system is quite stable except for when I play with the video settup.

-James

 --- On Thu 07/25, Stefan Bruda  wrote:
From: Stefan Bruda [mailto: bruda@ubishops.ca]
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:48:18 -0400
Subject: Re: video problem with ydl 2.3 and xfree86 on powerbook g4

> At 22:24 -0400 on 25-7-2002 "" wrote:
>  >
>  > Thanks for such detailed write up.  Apparently, I did get lucky.
>  > The ydl 2.3 linux already came with the radeon driver that I need.
>  > The following are the steps for installing YDL 2.3 on my powerbook
>  > G4.
>
> Cool. :-)
>
> Just for my personal curiosity: is your tibook a revision III one? You
> can check this e.g. by launching guname, clicking on "detailed
> information" and then on "CPU information."
>
> If it is, then the maximum resolution is 1280x854, which is really
> sweet.
>
> In an unrelated matter, how is sleep working with your machine and YDL
> 2.3? Could you please post your experience with this one? This is my
> major problem, and I will upgrade to 2.3 in a pinch if sleep works
> under this version.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stefan
>
> --
> If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
> it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
>     --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__c316cc5e36aec103df2ab7594bea4435

 If I close the lid and let machine go to sleep, then the screen will get corrupted when machine wakes up.  After that the only thing that i can seem to do is abruptly power off.  But if I leave the display open, then the display is only blanked and not turn off.  So waking up the machine will not corrupt the display.<br />
Power off without proper shutdown always cause corruption that require fsck to fix.  By the way, how good is fsck?  When fsck reports a problem is fixed is it truely fixed?  or is it a best effort attempt?  At one time the corruption even force me to do a reinstall.  Is there any way to bind the shutdown command to a key board key?  This way, even if I lose video I can still do a proper shutdown.<br />
Over all I like the currently linux much more then OS Xs.  The system is quite stable except for when I play with the video settup.<br />
-James<br />
 --- On Thu 07/25, Stefan Bruda < bruda@ubishops.ca > wrote:<br />