DVD software

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 31 15:06:01 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:31:19PM -0400, Shawn Coomey wrote:
> >By far the best DVD player, IMHO, is Ogle.  Install three
> >RPMs and stick in
> >your DVD.  It's really that simple.
>
> I've seen this topic rehashed many times, and this is the
> most positive reply I've seen yet. How is the performance?
> I,too, have been using Xine, and after all the
> optimizations I could do, I lose 20% of the frames. This
> is on a B&W G3 400MHZ. I'll give Ogle a try tonight and
> report back my results.

I'm using Ogle on a G4-400 w/386MB RAM.  I'm also running it
through WindowMaker, so GUI overhead is pretty low.  I've been
passively watching Blade for the past 15 minutes and it hasn't
dropped a frame or skipped at all.  I also have three Opera
sessions, Apache and three SSH sessions running, too.  Ogle
is using about 10MB of RAM and 20% of the CPU.  That's pretty
good in my book!

One of the coolest things about Ogle is that the DVD menus work;
and they even work with the mouse!

About the Altivec support, I think it only uses it if it's present.
Don't quote me on that because I've only used it on G4's and Athlon's.

In my opinion, spend a couple minutes and download the RPMs.  If it
doesn't work, you've only wasted a couple minutes.  If it does, you've
got a cool DVD player.

-ken