Quick and dirty file sharing?

Jay Savage yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 2 14:04:01 2002

Hello all!

I've recently fallen into an IBM Thinkpad i Series 1412 (my wife's ols=20
computer, now that she has an iBook.  Her turn for an new machine).  I've=
=20
euthanized Win98 and installed Mandrake 8.2, which seems to run beautiful=
ly,=20
so on the whole  is a good thing; MkLinux on my old Powerbook 5300 was ne=
ver=20
a satisfactory solution, although it sure beat whatever might have been i=
n=20
second place.  I have however been spoiled by Apple designs, and come to =
rely=20
heavilt on the Power Book's SCSI (now FireWire) Target Mode feautre for=20
quickly transfering files. without the hassle of networking.

Now I am faced with the question of how to quickly and easily move and sy=
nc=20
files between the Mandrake machine and my YDL/MacOS G3 over my home netwo=
rk =20
Any suggestions on the simplest way to do this?  NFS seems overkill for t=
he=20
small amount of data I'll actually be moving (and I don't really want to=20
rebuild either kernal right now)  I think the most obvious solutions are=20
either setting up netatalk on both machines, or setting up the desktop as=
 an=20
ftp server (the network is behind a firewall, so security shouldn't be an=
=20
issue).  Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of both methods.  Is htere=
=20
something I've overlooked? =20

thanks!

-- jay