Installer Quits - Cannot format / partition

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 4 11:29:01 2002

>Partition Map:
> Top level command (? for help): l /dev/sda
> finding devices .......
>
>Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
> #:                type name             length   base    ( size )
> 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                63 @ 1
> 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            54 @ 64
> 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            74 @ 118
> 4:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh           200 @ 192
> 5:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh           512 @ 392
> 6:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition     512 @ 904
> 7:     Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap         20481 @ 1416    ( 10.0M)
> 8:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap             131073 @ 21897   ( 64.0M)
> 9:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled        3674050 @ 152970  (  1.8G)
>10:           Apple_HFS MacOS            409631 @ 3827020 (200.0M)
>11:          Apple_Free Extra                10 @ 4236651

Did your partition map look like this before you tried to install? You
have swap and untitled as Apple_UNIX_SVR2, which looks to me like
something Apple's drive setup does. You need to have your whole linux
part as free and let the Linux installer do all the formatting. It
doesn't like Apple's drive setup - I had mine formatted similarly, and I
had all kinds of problems: My installation stopped before installing KDE
multimedia and when I tried to run Linux, it wouldn't recognize my swap
partition - I had to run off of the physical ram. I still formatted in
Linux, but it evidently didn't do enough to erase what was left from the
Drive setup. I reformatted with Apple's drive setup such that my Linux
parts were one large free partition. Things work much better now. So, I
would suggest you backup your data and reformat.

While it's probably not relevent to this problem, but you may want to
check the size of your install. You may be a bit cramped with only 1.8G
for your root partition.

Good luck,

Cindy