why not OS X?

John Brier yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 4 13:53:01 2002

I'm not sure this is appropriate for this list. This thread will=20
probably get lots of replies anyway. Many people use open source for the=20=

ideals, some people use it because they don't have to pay for it or be=20=

restricted by licenses.  Also a lot of people will say that linux is=20
faster than Mac OS X right now. I think that will change for most newer=20=

Apple hardware when "Jaguar" is released.  I have to agree with some=20
points, I really like Mac OS X because I don't have to spend a day or so=20=

on a list like this just getting say my DVD player to play movies. I=20
have a iBook 600 DVD/CD-RW airport 8MB VRAM. Some things in YDL don't=20
work, and I get tired of configuring so many things, just to make my=20
computer work the way I  want. Anti-aliasing won't work DVD playing=20
won't work, I can't even mount CDs or DVDs! I can't open my drive=20
either!   I can't burn CD's  I need to compile a kernel with SCSI=20
emulation to use the burner! Now a lot of linux people will say I'm lazy=20=

but most computer users don't want to configure everything either.I=20
started using linux because I got tired of Windows. On my iBook I have=20=

lately started  using Mac OS X because I got tired of linux. Just my=20
opinion.

here is a quote that is on Apple's Mac OS X page:
  =93I know I=92m going to get flamed for writing this, but Apple =
Computer=92s=20
Mac OS X 10.1 is what Linux-on-the-desktop people crave: a Unix-based OS=20=

with an interface even a novice can handle.=94
=97 Michael J. DeMaria
Network Computing